Chiropractors adjust extremities? First let me explain what is meant by the word "extremity". When chiropractors speak of an extremity, we are talking about the joints of the body that are outside the spinal joints. These joints include the ribs, shoulder and elbow, wrist and hand, hip, knee, ankle and foot, as well as the hands and toes.
Chiropractors look at the spine for joint fixations, subluxations, and joint motion dysfunction. In a very similar way, extremities can have fixations, subluxations, and joint motion restrictions. These problems may be chronic or acute and many people have great relief from their extremity adjustments.
Signs or possible symptoms of an extremity issue that can be helped by a chiropractor:
- Extremity pain or pain in the extremity joint
- Weakness in an extremity or joint
- Stiffness in the extremity
- Immobility of an extremity joint
- Numbness or tingling in an extremity
- Catching or locking of an extremity joint
The goal of adjusting extremities is to restore the original and proper alignment of the joint which allows it to have normal and proper function.